Why is English still a must?

 By Karina Galván Ponce


            I remember, when I was a child, how my mother kept on saying: “I want my children to study and learn English, I am sure it will become a great asset for their lives”; now after 40 years I do want the same for my own kids. I have studied English since I was in 4th grade and through my life I have seen how English has boosted my academic and job opportunities. I want my children and my students to discover the benefits of studying English as a second language.

For the last decades more and more people have been dedicating time to study English as a second language. Children are starting to learn English at a younger age and many countries are including English as part of their school syllabus. Currently English is spoken by 1.5 billion people, this means that 1 out of 4 speaks English, and most of them are non-native speakers. English has played an important role for communication and exchange of knowledge. According to Chan’s Power Language Index Ranking (A number based on categories and opportunities each language opens), English’s power exceeds Mandarin and even French, research suggests that this position will remain in the coming years and furthermore even expand its role.  Table 1  (Rojas & Fernandez, 2018)



Are you still wondering whether to learn the language? Check out the following facts:

ü  English is considered THE global language.

ü  Learning English can help you communicate with people from all over the world.

ü  Many scientific papers are written in English.

ü  Learning English may let you enjoy films, songs, TV shows and books written in this language.

ü  Travelling is easier with a good knowledge of English.

ü  English is the language of the internet.

ü  English is required in top national and international universities.

ü  English will increase your chances of getting a good job.

ü  Businesses are mainly done in English.

 

After showing some advantages for learning English as a second language, now here comes our mission… We, as English teachers at Liceo, have to make our students get excited to come to school and develop a love for learning English.


 


 

 

           

 

 

 

 

 



References:

Centres, B. S. (6 de May de 2021). British Study Centres. Obtenido de https://www.british-study.com/en/importance-of-english-language/

Rojas, J., & Fernandez, J. (2018). The importance of English as a second language in Latin America. CDMX Mexico: British Council Mexico and CIDE.

 

 

Comentarios